Orienteering Bay of Plenty welcomes both experienced and novice orienteers to an action packed weekend of orienteering located in and around the fun capital of New Zealand - Rotorua!
The Central Districts Orienteering Champs revives one of the major calendar events from the past, offering quality racing with a fun atmosphere and vibe - and with the awesome backdrop of all the great things Rotorua has to offer; hot pools, thermal attractions, cultural experiences, world class mountain biking, and great cafes and restaurants.
- Heaps of racing - Three races over two days – Long, Middle, and Sprint distance.
- High quality maps and courses - Including A grade status for Long Distance event on fantastic new map - "Okareka".
- Latest tech - SPORTident Air (contactless) timing technology (for Sprint and Middle distance events).
- Social - Enjoy some banter over pizza on Saturday afternoon.
- Crazy fun - Retr-O competition for the best dressed runners wearing gear from the past – a chance to dust off that old Unni Lewis special or shell suit and strut your stuff in your fave 80s or 90s regalia.
- Championship status - If you don't win the Retr-O dress comp then you can still achieve hero status by winning your class in any of the three races, to become Central Districts Champion.
Who should enter?
- Experienced orienteers can expect high standard racing on quality maps and courses, vying for title of Central Districts Champion in each championship class.
- Novice orienteers can experience the huge fun and sense of adventure orienteering provides, but via tailored courses suited to less experienced navigators. These are listed as "Recreational" courses in the entry system. A training session will also be available prior to racing starting on Saturday morning.
- Training for novice orienteers.
- Middle Distance Champs - Redwoods
- Sprint Distance Champs - Toi Ohomai campus/Centennial park
- Social, Pizza, and Retr-O competition
- Long Distance Champs - Lake Okareka
More detailed programme information can be found here.
- Competitors should enter via the online entry system here
- For entry fees, click here.
- For a list of the latest entries, click here.
Bulletin, Start Lists, and Grades
A bulletin containing all the detailed information competitors need to know about the championship, specific events, facilities, rules, and other relevant information will be available closer to the event, in downloadable form here.
Each person will be given a specific start time for each of their entered events, and start lists with these start times will be available for download here at least 48 hours prior to the event.
Grades and course information, including winning times can be found here.
Event Organiser - Erin Swanson - email@example.com, phone 021 386 977.
Orienteering Bay of Plenty (OBOP) is run by volunteers who are passionate about the sport and the potential benefits it gives to local communities; adventure, fun, health and wellbeing, confidence building, appreciation for the environment.
OBOP is hugely reliant on the generosity of local businesses and landowners who support the sport and allow us to do what we do. Big thanks and appreciation to the following: